Parents Demand Improvements in Obstetric Standards After Newborn Baby Died Due To Failures In Care During Labour - Clinical Negligence Advice Helpline

Suffered through medical negligence? Free information and guidance.

Parents Demand Improvements in Obstetric Standards After Newborn Baby Died Due To Failures In Care During Labour

birth problems

The parents of a baby boy who died after medical staff failed to monitor him properly and identify that he was in distress are demanding action to improve care for future parents and newborns.

Ami Solomons Hodges, 31, and her partner Russell Lee, 48, from Great Wakering in Essex, are speaking out for the first time today following an Inquest into the death of their son Frankie, who died in March last year shortly after he was delivered at Southend Hospital.

An investigation report concluded that staff failed to adequately interpret the baby’s heart monitor trace during labour and listed the fact that Frankie’s delivery occurred during a shift handover as a contributory factor to his death.

Following a two day hearing at Chelmsford’s Civic Centre, HM Senior Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray today (23 January) recorded a narrative conclusion and said: “On 28 March 2014 Ami Hodges was admitted to Southend Hospital after a spontaneous rupture of membranes. Baby Frankie Hodges was delivered by emergency caesarean section on 29 March 2014. He died at 20.43pm that evening. The cause of death was perinatal asphyxia. There were serious failings in the care provided to Baby Frankie and to his mother by Southend Hospital.”

The Inquest heard evidence that during Ami’s labour, Frankie’s heart rate was monitored but staff failed to recognise that the CTG trace indicated that the baby was in distress and needed to be delivered.

Frankie was eventually delivered by emergency caesarean section but he was not breathing and despite resuscitation attempts he died at just 47 minutes of age.

A medical expert instructed by the Coroner, Dr Malcolm Griffiths, concluded that: “Frankie’s death would have been avoidable had appropriate action been taken in response to the abnormal CTG trace” leaving his parents devastated and demanding action to improve future care.

Commenting after the inquest, Ami, said: “Russell and I were really looking forward to Frankie’s birth and being parents for the first time. We were both devastated when Frankie died and that last 10 months have been extremely difficult for us.

“I have always believed that had medical staff listened to my concerns and monitored Frankie’s condition more closely, Frankie would have been delivered sooner than he was and he would be still with us today – the inquest has confirmed my suspicions.

“We are grateful to the Coroner for conducting a thorough inquiry and hope that the Trust will pay heed to the shortcomings identified in their own investigation report.”